About the company
Snook are on a mission to design a world that works better for people.
We work with organisations to design more effective services which help people thrive. We do this by engaging with users, building digital products, training our clients, and much more.
This year we’re ten years old. In the past five years, we’ve scaled to more than double our original size when we started up in Scotland. We’ve opened a London office and our team is approaching 40 people. And we’ve worked with brilliant clients — from Cancer Research UK and Tesco to Hackney City Council and the Scottish Government.
About the role
Our accessibility lead role is about championing inclusive design and accessibility across everything Snook does from the products we build to the services we offer.
A major part of the role is developing programmes to train and build capabilities in development and design teams in and outside of Snook to ensure accessibility and inclusive design is at the heart of what they do.
You’ll relish working closely with our clients and partners, supporting our approach to new business opportunities, and in co-designing services and products with users.
We’re keen to hear from a range of applicants, not just those who have worked in the design or creative industries.
You should be able to demonstrate that you are able to meet some, or all, of the following requirements:
- Own strategic accountability for our approach to accessibility at Snook
- Lead programmes of work with our clients including in-depth developer training, embedding accessible and inclusive design practice at scale and running inclusive design seminars
- Influence the technical and design standards for accessibility across our clients and at Snook
- Speaking on accessibility and inclusive design externally
- Providing ongoing in-depth training programs for teams on accessibility regulations and wider inclusive design principles
- Provide guidance and technical leadership to projects during the full development lifecycle across service and technology solutions, and strategic guidance for presales and operations staff on solutions proposed for bids
- Stay up-to-date on technology and experience patterns in order to constantly be capable of communicating changes and updates to our approach to accessibility.
- Be the expert, communicate, internally and externally, on behalf of Snook on the topic of accessibility as a thought leader in the space
- Liaising with key senior stakeholders to understand Snook’s objectives and promote an inclusive design agenda
- Leading projects with senior stakeholders on accessibility
- Being the first port of call for the UX/UI team to understand accessibility issues around their early designs
- Understanding all new access and assistive technologies in common use and ensuring this knowledge is trained across Snook and our partner company
- Creating and running training for designers and developers
- Helping define accessibility guidelines or new areas including AR, interactive videos and voice.
- Setting up research sessions and user testing sessions to explore our prototypes and live design from an inclusive design perspective
- Leading the development of Snook’s other services in the marketplace to include accessibility audits and guidance in their delivery
- Support to manage a team of officers as the team grows, their workload and professional development
Your skills and experience
We’re keen to hear from a range of applicants who can demonstrate some, or all, of the following skills and experience:
- Leadership in making the case for accessibility and inclusive design whilst navigating budgetary or time constraints
- Depth of experience in conducting accessibility audits against WCAG 2.1 guidelines
- Experience with digital accessibility tech, design solutions, and policy
- Deep understanding of WCAG 2.1 AAA guidelines and ARIA techniques
- Wide experience using and testing with assistive technologies (incl VoiceOver, Browser extensions, JAWS and NVDA)
- Skilled in development, creation and management of technical and business documentation relating to accessibility and digital inclusion
- Confidence in working at a code level and/or with developers to address issues in CSS/HTML
- Experience in leading teams to develop roadmaps to address accessibility issues
- Demonstrable experience of recruiting and working with people with disabilities
- An excellent portfolio of inclusive research and design practice, covering different platforms and services
- Experience mentoring practitioners of different experience levels
- Proven ability to lead workshops and kick off sessions
- Ability to inspire a vision but also focus on details of accessible solutions
- Very comfortable presenting to directors and leadership teams
- Some experience of commercialisation of services
- Self motivated, enthusiastic and inspirational
- Most importantly, you’re looking to join a lovely team and support us in delivering great design work. Definite bonus points include an appreciation for gifs and bad puns.
What we offer
Snook offer a competitive salary, 29.5 holidays per year (including public holidays), additional annual Christmas closure and a supportive maternity leave policy.
We provide an annual training budget for external opportunities from talks and conferences to more bespoke hands-on training.
We respect that people have commitments and provide flexible working hours through discussion.
We have an annual team-away retreat for us to come together as a company, taking time out to learn, reflect, and eat snacks.
We spend a Friday together every quarter as one studio to run show and tells.
Every Monday morning, we have a team breakfast where we eat together and share our ambitions for the week ahead.
We are an equal opportunity, Disability Confident and Living Wage Foundation employer.
We have a bike to work scheme and free membership to HeadSpace the mental health app.
We support you with a Snook buddy when you join to get you started.
We strive for diversity in our team. If we’re going to design services for the public we need to ensure our team is inclusive. We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds and ages, however all applicants must have the right to work in the UK.
How to apply
This is a rolling recruitment campaign so please don’t wait to submit your application. We are sifting and interviewing candidates on a weekly basis.
Please submit a CV, cover letter and a portfolio of your work highlighting key projects. If you do not have a portfolio, we have created a simple template that you can use.
Send your CV, cover letter and portfolio as pdfs to email@example.com with the title “Hire me: Accessibility and Inclusive Design Lead”.
In your covering letter, please tell us a little bit about yourself, why you want to work at Snook and what sort of design problems you’d be interested in tackling with us.
Due to the current Covid-19 epidemic, we anticipate that all interviews will be conducted remotely. We will offer interviews at times that suit you, so if you have children, caring duties, or other circumstances affecting your availability for an interview, we’re happy to offer convenient times outside of work hours.