About the company
Snook are on a mission to design a world that works better for people.
We work with organisations to design more effective services which help people thrive. We do this by engaging with users, building digital products, training our clients, and much more.
This year we’re ten years old. In the past five years, we’ve scaled to more than double our original size when we started up in Scotland. We’ve opened a London office and our team is approaching 40 people. And we’ve worked with brilliant clients — from Cancer Research UK and Tesco to Hackney City Council and the Scottish Government.
About the role
As a content designer, you’ll work with our project teams to design end-to-end services for our clients at Snook.
This role focuses on content design, which combines copywriting with UX design. You will be designing accessible content to guide users through a service or product from start to finish, working with service designers, interaction designers and user researchers.
You’ll design written content that the user intuitively grasps across a variety of digital and analogue channels and meets the needs of everyone who will use it.
We’re keen to hear from a range of applicants, not just those who have worked in the design or creative industries.
You should be able to demonstrate that you are able to meet some, or all, of the following requirements:
- Design content that meets user needs and makes complex language and processes easy to understand and use.
- Work closely throughout the agile service design phases from discovery to live with user researchers, service designers and interaction designers to identify needs, and engage with users or stakeholders to collate user needs evidence.
- Influencing the design of our client’s products and services, and contributing to the overall user experience.
- Ensuring content meets the legislative needs of our clients.
- Prototyping products and services including taking part in usability testing services with user researchers, with a focus on content.
- Work with and guide senior stakeholders and influence decision-making with a strong evidence base of user needs, including presenting.
- Report writing and participate in stakeholder meetings.
- Contribute to our clients’ design systems, setting standards for content design.
- Understand and implement appropriate style and standards.
- Understand what we mean by ‘digital inclusion’ and ‘assisted digital’ and how we support universal access to digital services in the future.
- Have a strong understanding of how the design process informs the drafting of content for real user needs.
- Contribute to our Content Design practice.
Your skills and experience
We’re keen to hear from a range of applicants who can demonstrate some, or all, of the following skills and experience:
- Experience of delivering user-centred content to products and services that are live.
- Excellent copywriting and graphic design skills.
- Experience of working with, or a comprehensive understanding of the Government Service Standard and the role of content designers within this.
- Knowledge of content design standards.
- Experience of using primary evidence, qualitative and quantitative data, and desk and user research to inform the design of content and user journeys.
- Experience and understanding of working in an agile way and at a rapid pace.
- Ability to explain the difference between content writing and content design.
- Demonstrable experience in working with content management systems
- Demonstrable experience in using metrics and user feedback to define/refine content
- Experience of working with policy makers or legislative stakeholders to set content constraints.
- Excellent ability to identify user needs and convert them into accessible content.
- Ability to work with agile methodology, understand the variety of delivery methods and jump into projects at different stages.
- Experience of user research, prototyping and usability testing.
- Ability to work in a highly collaborative manner, as part of a team with other designers as well as with stakeholders.
What we offer
Snook offer a competitive salary, 29.5 holidays per year (including public holidays), additional annual Christmas closure and a supportive maternity leave policy.
We provide an annual training budget for external opportunities from talks and conferences to more bespoke hands-on training.
We respect that people have commitments and provide flexible working hours through discussion.
We have an annual team-away retreat for us to come together as a company, taking time out to learn, reflect, and eat snacks.
We spend a Friday together every quarter as one studio to run show and tells.
Every Monday morning, we have a team breakfast where we eat together and share our ambitions for the week ahead.
We are an equal opportunity, Disability Confident and Living Wage Foundation employer.
We have a bike to work scheme and free membership to HeadSpace the mental health app.
We support you with a Snook buddy when you join to get you started.
We strive for diversity in our team. If we’re going to design services for the public we need to ensure our team is inclusive. We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds and ages, however all applicants must have the right to work in the UK.
How to apply
This is a rolling recruitment campaign so please don’t wait to submit your application. We are sifting and interviewing candidates on a weekly basis.
Please submit a CV, cover letter and a portfolio of your work highlighting key projects. If you do not have a portfolio, we have created a simple template that you can use.
Send your CV, cover letter and portfolio as pdfs to email@example.com with the title “Hire me: Content Designer”.
In your covering letter, please tell us a little bit about yourself, why you want to work at Snook and what sort of design problems you’d be interested in tackling with us.
Due to the current Covid-19 epidemic, we anticipate that all interviews will be conducted remotely. We will offer interviews at times that suit you, so if you have children, caring duties, or other circumstances affecting your availability for an interview, we’re happy to offer convenient times outside of work hours.