About the company
Snook are on a mission to design a world that works better for people.
We work with organisations to design more effective services which help people thrive. We do this by engaging with users, building digital products, training our clients, and much more.
This year we’re ten years old. In the past five years, we’ve scaled to more than double our original size when we started up in Scotland. We’ve opened a London office and our team is approaching 40 people. And we’ve worked with brilliant clients — from Cancer Research UK and Tesco to Hackney City Council and the Scottish Government.
About the role
As an Interaction Designer at Snook, you will be responsible for participating in projects with a focus on creating intuitive, inclusive and accessible design solutions.
Your work will include designing holistic services that work for a wide range of people, and the design of digital products and supporting the digital design team and wider disciplines to embrace the importance of accessible interaction design.
Your work will require collaboration across our user centered disciplines and go beyond the screen.
You will design in the open, communicating the design decisions within the project team and clients, championing the importance of design and user needs.
You’ll relish working closely with our clients and partners in co-designing services and products with users.
We’re keen to hear from a range of applicants, not just those who have worked in the design or creative industries.
You should be able to demonstrate that you are able to meet some, or all, of the following requirements:
- Work in multidisciplinary project teams to design products and services that work for people
- Able to working within an agile environment with multidisciplinary teams, knowing your role at each phase of development
- Deliver design work that aligns to Snook’s values and business objectives
- Collaborate with colleagues, clients and partners to create intuitive and impactful user experiences
- Take part in design sprints as both the designated designer and eventually as a facilitator
- Create contextually appropriate prototypes (paper, InVision, HTML)
- Effectively communicate design ideas using a variety of techniques, including product concepts, service models, user journeys, system maps and/or infographics, wireframes, lo-fi and hi-fidelity digital prototypes
- Conduct and undertake analysis of usability tests (e.g heuristic evaluations and A/B testing)
- Participate and facilitate a range of design workshops with clients, users and other stakeholders
- Undertake design research alongside Snook Service Designers and User Researchers
- Being able to manage your own time and budget on both client and internal projects
- Confident in presenting your design solutions to clients and helping them understand the value of user-centred design
Your skills and experience
We’re keen to hear from a range of applicants who can demonstrate some, or all, of the following skills and experience:
- Proven interaction design experience including wireframing and website development
- A strong portfolio of user-centred, responsive and well-researched design work
- Experience in taking feedback from users, clients and peers on your designs
- Knowledge of the WCAG 2.1 guidelines and general accessibility criteria
- A working knowledge of front-end frameworks (React, Vue.js) and design patterns (MVC, MVVM, Flux, etc.) and understanding of their benefits and constraints
- Experience of working with development teams
- An understanding of user experience best practice across web and mobile
- Experience of using design systems (e.g Gov.uk prototyping kit)
What we offer
We host weekly learning sessions, to share recent learnings from the field and discuss what we’re learning from our work. This might take the form of a recent talk we’ve given, or our teams may be asked to present elements of their work for discussion. This is a facilitated opportunity for open thinking and sharing on how we Snook, what we’re hearing and what we’re learning.
We respect that people have commitments and provide flexible working hours through discussion.
We are an equal opportunity, Disability Confident and Living Wage Foundation employer.
Free membership to HeadSpace the mental health app.
How to apply
This recruitment has a deadline so please don’t wait to submit your application, and once we have enough applications we may close this post early.
The application will be 3 stages; CV review, followed by a phone screen, then a formal interview. If successful, you may not be deployed straight away, so this role would therefore be ideal for those who are looking for flexible work.
Please note: due to the sensitive nature of this project, all successful candidates will require government security clearance. If you are not already SC cleared (preferable), you must be eligible, meaning that you must have lived in the UK for the last 3 years, and you must have the right to work in the UK.
Please submit your CV, cover letter, day rate, notice period, and a portfolio of your work highlighting key projects. If you do not have a portfolio, we have created a simple template that you can use.
To apply, please follow this link, and open up the jobs page for the Interaction Designer position.
In your covering letter, please tell us a little bit about yourself, why you want to work at Snook and what sort of design problems you’d be interested in tackling with us.
We strive for diversity in our team. If we’re going to design services for the public we need to ensure our team is inclusive. Snook encourages applications from all backgrounds, abilities or impairments, communities and industries, and are committed to having a team that is made up of diverse skills, experiences and abilities. If you have any questions please get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org
Due to the current Covid-19 epidemic, we anticipate that all interviews will be conducted remotely. We will offer interviews at times that suit you, so if you have children, caring duties, or other circumstances affecting your availability for an interview, we’re happy to offer convenient times outside of work hours.