About the company
Snook are on a mission to design a world that works better for people.
We work with organisations to design more effective services which help people thrive. We do this by engaging with users, building digital products, training our clients, and much more.
This year we’re ten years old. In the past five years, we’ve scaled to more than double our original size when we started up in Scotland. We’ve opened a London office and our team is approaching 40 people. And we’ve worked with brilliant clients — from Cancer Research UK and Tesco to Hackney City Council and the Scottish Government.
About the role
As a senior content designer, you’ll work as a lead content designer with our project teams to design end-to-end services for our clients at Snook.
This role focuses on content design, which combines copywriting with UX design. You will be designing accessible content to guide users through a service or product from start to finish, working with service designers, interaction designers and user researchers.
You’ll design written content that the user intuitively grasps across a variety of digital and analogue channels and meets the needs of everyone who will use it.
We’re keen to hear from a range of applicants, not just those who have worked in the design or creative industries.
You should be able to demonstrate that you are able to meet some, or all, of the following requirements:
- Design content that meets user needs and makes complex language and processes easy to understand and use.
- Work closely throughout the agile and service design phases, from discovery to live with user researchers, service designers and interaction designers to identify needs, and engage with users or stakeholders to collate user needs evidence.
- Demonstrating best practice and influencing the design of our client’s products and services, and contributing to the overall user experience.
- Ensuring content meets the legislative needs of our clients.
- Prototyping products and services including taking part in usability testing services with user researchers, with a focus on content.
- Work with and guide senior stakeholders and influence decision-making with a strong evidence base of user needs, including presenting.
- Report writing and participate in stakeholder meetings.
- Contribute to our clients’ design systems, setting standards for content design.
- Understand and implement appropriate style and standards.
- Understand what we mean by ‘digital inclusion’ and ‘assisted digital’ and how we support universal access to digital services in the future.
- Have a strong understanding of how the design process informs the drafting of content for real user needs.
- Contribute to our Content Design practice.
Your skills and experience
We’re keen to hear from a range of applicants who can demonstrate some, or all, of the following skills and experience:
- Experience leading teams and demonstrating best practice for content design
- Coach other content designers to grow and develop their skills
- Experience of delivering user-centred content to products and services that are live.
- Experience in leading on content design for complex projects with clients.
- Excellent copywriting skills.
- Experience of working with, or a comprehensive understanding of the Government Service Standard and the role of content designers within this.
- Knowledge of content design standards.
- Experience of using primary evidence, qualitative and quantitative data, and desk and user research to inform the design of content and user journeys.
- Experience and understanding of working in an agile way and at a rapid pace.
- Ability to explain the difference between content writing and content design.
- Demonstrable experience in working with content management systems
- Demonstrable experience in using metrics and user feedback to define/refine content
- Experience of working with policy makers or legislative stakeholders to set content constraints.
- Excellent ability to identify user needs and convert them into accessible content.
- Ability to work with agile methodology, understand the variety of delivery methods and jump into projects at different stages.
- Experience of user research, prototyping and usability testing.
- Ability to work in a highly collaborative manner, as part of a team with other designers as well as with stakeholders.
What we offer
We host weekly learning sessions, to share recent learnings from the field and discuss what we’re learning from our work. This might take the form of a recent talk we’ve given, or our teams may be asked to present elements of their work for discussion. This is a facilitated opportunity for open thinking and sharing on how we Snook, what we’re hearing and what we’re learning.
We respect that people have commitments and provide flexible working hours through discussion.
We are an equal opportunity, Disability Confident and Living Wage Foundation employer.
Free membership to HeadSpace the mental health app.
How to apply
This recruitment has a deadline so please don’t wait to submit your application, and once we have enough applications we may close this post early.
The application will be 3 stages; CV review, followed by a phone screen, then a formal interview. If successful, you may not be deployed straight away, so this role would therefore be ideal for those who are looking for flexible work.
Please note: due to the sensitive nature of this project, all successful candidates will require government security clearance. If you are not already SC cleared (preferable), you must be eligible, meaning that you must have lived in the UK for the last 5 years, and you must have the right to work in the UK.
Please submit your CV, cover letter, day rate, notice period, and a portfolio of your work highlighting key projects. If you do not have a portfolio, we have created a simple template that you can use.
Send your CV, cover letter and portfolio as pdfs to firstname.lastname@example.org with the title “Hire me: Freelance Senior Content Designer”.
In your covering letter, please tell us a little bit about yourself, why you want to work at Snook and what sort of design problems you’d be interested in tackling with us.
We strive for diversity in our team. If we’re going to design services for the public we need to ensure our team is inclusive. Snook encourages applications from all backgrounds, abilities or impairments, communities and industries, and are committed to having a team that is made up of diverse skills, experiences and abilities. If you have any questions please get in touch at email@example.com
Due to the current Covid-19 epidemic, we anticipate that all interviews will be conducted remotely. We will offer interviews at times that suit you, so if you have children, caring duties, or other circumstances affecting your availability for an interview, we’re happy to offer convenient times outside of work hours.