About the company
Snook are on a mission to design a world that works better for people.
We work with organisations to design more effective services which help people thrive. We do this by engaging with users, building digital products, training our clients, and much more.
This year we’re eleven years old. In the past five years, we’ve scaled to more than double our original size when we started up in Scotland. We now have over 80 people across the UK. And we’ve worked with brilliant clients — from Cancer Research UK and Tesco to Hackney City Council and the Scottish Government.
About the role
As a Developer at Snook, you will work alongside our other disciplines to assist in the day-to-day running of the development work within our digital team.
You will work with the team to develop digital products and services, making the best use of budget to provide value for our clients and to our internal projects.
Our Developers will sit within the Digital team and will collaborate across our user-centered disciplines, including service design, user research, interaction design, content design and accessibility.
Your skills and experience
We’re keen to hear from a range of applicants who can demonstrate some, or all, of the following skills and experience:
Team and practice:
- Work in multidisciplinary project teams to design, and develop digital products, throughout the entire product life-cycle.
- Experience working with agile, user centered design and lean approaches to product development.
- Help develop our technology practices including test-driven development, code review, pair-programming, QA, and professional development and training.
- Willing to work collaboratively to both give and receive feedback within a shared code ownership team.
- Working knowledge of designing and building accessible and inclusive live digital products and/or services.
- Supporting the wider Snook team on new business proposals and pitches when required.
- Ability to incrementally define and improve the software.
- Experienced with full-stack development in a variety of programming languages. Our current tech stack at snook includes: Ruby on Rails, Node.js and React.js.
- Experience with Test Driven Development (TDD) and/or Behavioral Test Driven Development (BDD).
- Develop, test, deploy and improve digital products and services in a continuous delivery environment
- Experience of skillfully translating and communicating technical concepts for non-technical stakeholders.
- Experience working with databases (SQL and NoSQL).
- Experience in writing well-documented code that is easy to maintain and evolve.
- Experience using Git version control and CI/CD.
- Experience consulting and/or coaching clients on best software and agile practices.
- Experience of collaborating with interaction designers to take a service live.
What we offer
Snook offer a competitive salary, 29.5 holidays per year (including public holidays), additional annual Christmas closure and a supportive maternity leave policy.
We respect that people have commitments and provide flexible working hours through discussion.
We have an annual team-away retreat for us to come together as a company, taking time out to learn, reflect, and eat snacks.
Every Monday morning, we have a team breakfast where we eat together and share our ambitions for the week ahead.
We are an equal opportunity, Disability Confident and Living Wage Foundation employer.
We have a bike to work scheme and free membership to HeadSpace the mental health app.
We support you with a Snook buddy when you join to get you started.
We strive for diversity in our team. If we’re going to design services for the public we need to ensure our team is inclusive. We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds and ages, however all applicants must have the right to work in the UK.
How to apply
This is a rolling recruitment campaign so please don’t wait to submit your application. We are sifting and interviewing candidates on a weekly basis.
Please submit a CV, cover letter and details of your notice period. Please also let us know your preferred pronouns (she/her, they/them, he/him, etc).
In your covering letter, please tell us a little bit about yourself, why you want to work at Snook and what sort of problems you’d be interested in tackling with us.
Send your CV and cover letter pdfs to ‘firstname.lastname@example.org’ with the title “Hire me: Developer”
We strive for diversity in our team. If we’re going to design services for the public we need to ensure our team is inclusive. Snook encourages applications from all backgrounds, abilities or impairments, communities and industries, and are committed to having a team that is made up of diverse skills, experiences and abilities. If you have any questions please get in touch at email@example.com
Due to the current Covid-19 epidemic, we anticipate that all interviews will be conducted remotely. We will offer interviews at times that suit you, so if you have children, caring duties, or other circumstances affecting your availability for an interview, we’re happy to offer convenient times outside of work hours.