About the company
Snook are on a mission to design a world that works better for people.
We work with organisations to design more effective services which help people thrive. We do this by engaging with users, building digital products, training our clients, and much more.
This year we’re ten years old. In the past five years, we’ve scaled to more than double our original size when we started up in Scotland. We’ve opened a London office and our team is approaching 70 people. And we’ve worked with brilliant clients — from Cancer Research UK and Tesco to Hackney City Council and the Scottish Government.
About the role
As a Principal Developer at Snook, you will lead the new and growing team of developers within our Digital team, and set the standard for our coding approach. You’ll report to our Head of Digital to provide oversight of technical delivery, and provide coaching for technical specialists.
- Line-manage the team of developers. Provide mentoring and support to build individual and team capability.
- Develop, test, deploy and improve digital products and services in production.
- Develop our technology practices including test-driven development, code review, pair-programming, QA, approaches and professional development and training.
You will help create a supportive team and a culture of partnership, consistency, operational excellence and delivery. You will foster good engineering practices, rhythms and rituals, team dynamics and delivery within the Head of Digital’s team. And you will help the team make brilliant connections with the other designers and researchers across the rest of Snook.
Principals are our most senior practitioners, but you’ll also work with other Principals across service design and user research to help set and raise the standard of human-centred design across Snook and the sector.
You should be able to demonstrate that you have experience of some or all of the following responsibilities:
- Leading multidisciplinary project teams to develop and test digital products, proof of concepts and prototypes.
- Demonstrating a human centred design approach and prioritising user needs over business or technical constraints.
- Ensuring client satisfaction in the delivery of our technical solutions; that they are on time and budget.
- Fostering a culture of proactive open communication, operational excellence, and consistent delivery.
- Providing mentoring and support to a team of developers so that their capability improves as individuals and a team.
- Building awareness and understanding of technical possibilities and constraints with team and clients, to make sure our wider service design approach is fit for purpose.
- Supporting the wider team on new business proposals and pitches when required.
Your skills and experience
We want to hear from a range of people who can demonstrate some, or all, of the following skills and experience:
- Leading the technical vision for products and services within a development team.
- Skillfully translating and communicating technical concepts for clients, delivery team members and other technical specialists like design and research.
- Developing software in at least two programming languages (eg Python, Node.js, Go, Ruby).
- Working with Git version control and leading an environment of continuous integration and continuous delivery (CI/CD).
- Deploying, hosting, securing, monitoring and scaling in the cloud and experience with configuration management tools (eg Terraform, Chef, Ansible, Puppet, KMS).
- Delivering work using test-driven development (TDD) and/or behaviour-driven development (BDD) approaches.
- Delivering work using agile and lean approaches.
- Ensuring work meets accessibility, scalability, robustness and security requirements.
- Understanding of service design and user research, and how they relate to development.
- Experience of skillfully translating and communicating technical concepts for non-technical stakeholders.
- Awareness of technology trends and an openness to experimentation.
- Experience of pair-programming and code review, willing to work collaboratively to both give and receive feedback within a shared code ownership team.
What we offer
Snook offer a competitive salary, 29.5 holidays per year (including public holidays), additional annual Christmas closure and a supportive maternity leave policy.
We are working remotely by default during the pandemic, as a distributed team. We provide the kit our staff need to work effectively, and the flexibility to help work and life remain in balance. Our London studio space is open for our staff to work in if they prefer not to work from home, and we have a booking system to make sure people can work at a safe distance. Our Glasgow studio is awaiting confirmation following the Scottish Government guidelines.
We provide an annual training budget for external opportunities from talks and conferences to more bespoke hands-on training.
We respect that people have commitments and provide flexible working hours through discussion.
We spend a day together every quarter as a studio to run show and tells. We have an annual team-away retreat for us to come together as a company, taking time out to learn, reflect, and eat snacks.
We are an equal opportunity, Disability Confident and Living Wage Foundation employer.
We have a bike to work scheme and free membership to HeadSpace the mental health app.
We support you with a Snook buddy when you join to get you started.
We strive for diversity in our team. If we’re going to design services for the public we need to ensure our team is inclusive. We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds and ages, however all applicants must have the right to work in the UK.
How to apply
Please submit a CV, cover letter and details of your notice period, by CLOSED. Please also let us know your preferred pronouns (she/her, they/them, he/him, etc).
In your covering letter, please tell us a little bit about yourself, why you want to work at Snook and what sort of design problems you’d be interested in tackling with us.
Send your CV and cover letter pdfs to CLOSED with the title “Hire me: Principal Developer”.
At the current time, we anticipate that all interviews will be conducted remotely. We will offer interviews at times that suit you, so if you have children, caring duties, or other circumstances affecting your availability for an interview, we’re happy to offer convenient times outside of work hours.