About the company
Snook are on a mission to design a world that works better for people.
We work with organisations to design more effective services which help people thrive. We do this by engaging with users, building digital products, training our clients, and much more.
This year we’re ten years old. In the past five years, we’ve scaled to more than double our original size when we started up in Scotland. We’ve opened a London office and our team is approaching 40 people. And we’ve worked with brilliant clients — from Cancer Research UK and Tesco to Hackney City Council and the Scottish Government.
About the role
As a Senior Interaction Designer at Snook, you will be responsible for taking a lead role in projects with a focus on creating intuitive, inclusive and accessible design solutions.
Your work will include designing holistic services that work for a wide range of people, and the design of digital products and supporting the digital design team and wider disciplines to embrace the importance of accessible interaction design.
Your work will require collaboration across our user centered disciplines and go beyond the screen.
You will design in the open, leading the communication of design decisions within the project team and clients, championing the importance of design and user needs.
You’ll relish working closely with our clients and partners, supporting our approach to new business opportunities, and in co-designing services and products with users.
We’re keen to hear from a range of applicants, not just those who have worked in the design or creative industries.
You should be able to demonstrate that you are able to meet some, or all, of the following requirements:
- Lead multidisciplinary project teams to design products and services that work for people
- Able to working within an agile environment with multidisciplinary teams, knowing your role at each phase of development
- You will champion interaction design across Snook
- Work with the Head of Design and Tech Lead in developing the digital design culture within Snook
- Deliver design work that aligns to Snook’s values and business objectives
- Collaborate with colleagues, clients and partners to create intuitive and impactful user experiences
- Facilitate and take part in design sprints
- Create contextually appropriate prototypes (paper, Figma, InVision, HTML)
- Effectively communicate design ideas using a variety of techniques, including product concepts, service models, user journeys, system maps and/or infographics, wireframes, lo-fi and hi-fidelity digital prototypes
- Conduct and undertake analysis of usability tests (e.g heuristic evaluations and A/B testing)
- Undertake design research alongside Snook Service Designers and User Researchers
- Plan and facilitate a range of design workshops with clients, users and other stakeholders
- Providing advice, guidance and technical leadership to projects during the full development lifecycle across service and technology solutions, and strategic guidance for presales and operations staff on solutions proposed for bids
- Confidently dealing with time and budgetary constraints on internal and external projects
- Able to skillfully and ethically influence clients to invest in taking a user-centred approach to project
Your skills and experience
We’re keen to hear from a range of applicants who can demonstrate some, or all, of the following skills and experience:
- Proven interaction design experience including wireframing and website development
- A strong portfolio of user-centred, responsive and well-researched design work
- Experience of undertaking a range usability testing sessions and performing analysis
- Experience of designing to the WCAG 2.1 guidelines and general accessibility criteria
- Experience of core interaction design tools (e.g Figma, Sketch)
- Experience working with front-end frameworks (React, Vue.js) and design patterns (MVC, MVVM, Flux, etc.) and understanding of their benefits and constraints
- Experience of working with development teams
- An understanding of user experience best practice across web and mobile
- Experience of using and contributing to design systems (e.g Gov.uk prototyping kit)
- Experience of mentoring and coaching other designers
What we offer
Snook offer a competitive salary, 29.5 holidays per year (including public holidays), additional annual Christmas closure and a supportive maternity leave policy.
We provide an annual training budget for external opportunities from talks and conferences to more bespoke hands-on training.
We respect that people have commitments and provide flexible working hours through discussion.
We have an annual team-away retreat for us to come together as a company, taking time out to learn, reflect, and eat snacks.
We spend a Friday together every quarter as one studio to run show and tells.
Every Monday morning, we have a team breakfast where we eat together and share our ambitions for the week ahead.
We are an equal opportunity, Disability Confident and Living Wage Foundation employer.
We have a bike to work scheme and free membership to HeadSpace the mental health app.
We support you with a Snook buddy when you join to get you started.
We strive for diversity in our team. If we’re going to design services for the public we need to ensure our team is inclusive. We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds and ages, however all applicants must have the right to work in the UK.
How to apply
This is a rolling recruitment campaign so please don’t wait to submit your application. We are sifting and interviewing candidates on a weekly basis.
Please submit a CV, cover letter and a portfolio of your work highlighting key projects. If you do not have a portfolio, we have created a simple template that you can use.
Send your CV, cover letter and portfolio as pdfs to firstname.lastname@example.org with the title “Hire me: Senior Interaction Designer”.
In your covering letter, please tell us a little bit about yourself, why you want to work at Snook and what sort of design problems you’d be interested in tackling with us.
Due to the current Covid-19 epidemic, we anticipate that all interviews will be conducted remotely. We will offer interviews at times that suit you, so if you have children, caring duties, or other circumstances affecting your availability for an interview, we’re happy to offer convenient times outside of work hours.