About the company
Snook is on a mission to design a world that works better for people.
We work with organisations to design more effective services which help people thrive. We do this by engaging with users, building digital products, training our clients, and much more.
Snook started as a service design company in 2009. In the past five years, we have become a multidisciplinary team and scaled to more than double our original size, when we started up in Scotland. We are now based in Glasgow and London and our team is approaching 100 people. And we’ve worked with brilliant clients — from Cancer Research UK and Tesco to Hackney City Council and the Scottish Government.
One of Snook’s core missions is ‘Next Era Government’. We strive to ensure that human needs are at the centre of government services’ design and delivery. We are the User-Centred Design partner for multiple government agencies, including Home Office, Department for Education, NHS Digital and NHSX. Working in these sectors will give you valuable experience of applying GDS standards and preparing for GDS Service assessments. We also work with local government and third and private sector organisations.
This role provides the opportunity to work across these sectors while receiving knowledge and support from other Snooks. When possible, we rotate people from one sector to another after 3 to 12 months (depending on the project), enabling people to develop in-depth knowledge of a variety of sectors.
About the role
As a Senior Project Manager at Snook you will be responsible for overseeing the delivery of client and internal projects. You’ll be responsible for helping run the rhythms and rituals of our projects, supporting project leads to deliver on time, on budget and to high standards. You’ll also support the Head of Development and wider Delivery Team with project resourcing and scoping.
Project Managers at Snook play a crucial role in helping us design products and services that have a big impact for our clients and their users. It’s a role for individuals who love working as part of collaborative teams who support one another to do great work.
As a Senior Project Manager at Snook, you’ll have extensive experience in agile and sprint based delivery on a diverse range of complex projects, with multidisciplinary teams. This will range from consultancy projects, designing public services to software development.
You’ll have excellent project management skills, know when to challenge and when to listen. You’ll be well versed in working collaboratively with a project team, helping ensure everyone is able to contribute, have their voice heard, and do their best work.
You’ll be skilled at building strong client relationships, fostering a “one team” culture of co-design and collaboration and ensuring that projects stay on track and that clients are invested in and bought into the project processes and plans.
We’re keen to hear from a range of applicants, not just those who have worked in the design or creative industries.
You should be able to demonstrate that you are able to meet some, or all, of the following requirements:
- Simultaneously manage the delivery of a range of diverse projects.
- Establish an agile environment for the project team to build and iterate upon human-centred services and products.
- Organise and facilitate a range of team rituals and rhythms (such as stand-ups, planning, tracking, retrospectives, crits and demos).
- Produce progress reports across projects, supporting the Head of Delivery to identify blockers or issues affecting delivery.
- Identify ways to unblock and facilitate your team on a daily basis
- Work with the Head of Delivery to build project teams, ensuring they are motivated, collaborating and working well together
- Define and track metrics to improve the performance of project teams.
- Contributing to project strategy; helping shape the direction and vision of projects.
- Advocate for your team, encourage transparency, collaboration, and shared responsibility.
- Inspire the teams you work with and be excited by the projects you manage.
- Communicate effectively to a wider range of internal and external stakeholders and manage client relationships.
- Able to identify the delivery flow of a project team, managing the pace and tempo.
- Confident in managing the commercial aspects of a project, ensuring client satisfaction and the retaliation of revenue and billing objectives.
- Champion agile project management and providing training where required across Snook disciplines.
- Align delivery with other Snook disciplines, such as Service Design, Research and Development.
- Manage and support more Middleweight and Associate Project Managers.
Your skills and experience
We’re keen to hear from a range of applicants who can demonstrate some, or all, of the following skills and experience:
- A demonstrable track record of planning and managing projects in an agile environment, ensuring that projects keep within time and budget.
- Extensive relevant experience working of managing projects to successful outcomes, leading teams, planning, problem solving, progress monitoring, managing risk, and budget or resource responsibility
- Coaching others in new ways of working and approaching agile delivery.
- Experience of a range of project management and delivery tools (e.g. Trello, Jira, etc.) and remote working tools (Slack, Google Hangouts, Zoom, etc.).
- A high level of knowledge of digital technology and how it can be applied to services and organisations
- Able to effectively manage and prioritise multiple projects simultaneously.
- Extensive experience of identifying and mitigating project risks.
- Experience of designing and facilitating sprint planning meetings and project retrospectives.
- Extensive experience in delivering complex digital projects with multidisciplinary teams and a range of external stakeholders.
- Experience of gathering learnings from past projects and communicating them across multiple teams and projects.
- Experience of managing changes to project scope and managing formal change requests where required
- Extensive and demonstrable experience of building strong client relationships, managing expectations, and ensuring satisfaction.
What we offer
- A competitive salary
- 25.5 holidays per year, 4 public holidays, plus a discretionary 6 days annual Christmas closure
- A supportive maternity package
- We respect that people have commitments, providing flexible working hours through discussion
- A bike to work scheme
- Every Monday morning, we have a virtual team breakfast check in where we eat together, share updates, learnings and our ambitions for the week ahead
- Membership to the Headspace, the mental health app
- We have an annual team-away day and quarterly show+tells; where we come together as a company, taking time out to learn, reflect, and eat snacks
- We provide an annual training budget, which can be used for external opportunities from talks and conferences to more bespoke hands-on training. We have weekly learning sessions for all our team members, with a vast topic range
- Access to Snook social clubs, and opportunity to run your own
- Snook group pension plan
- We support you with a Snook buddy when you join to get you started
How to apply
This is an immediate start campaign so please don’t wait to submit your application. We are sifting and interviewing candidates on a weekly basis. We have the right to close this vacancy at any time.
Please submit a CV, cover letter and your notice period
In your covering letter, please tell us a little bit about yourself, why you want to work at Snook and what sort of design problems you’d be interested in tackling with us.
To apply, please follow this link, and open up the jobs page for the Senior Project Manager position.
We strive for diversity in our team. If we’re going to design services for the public we need to ensure our team is inclusive. Snook encourages applications from all backgrounds, abilities or impairments, communities and industries, and is committed to having a team that is made up of diverse skills, experiences and abilities. If you have any questions please get in touch at email@example.com
Due to the current Covid-19 epidemic, we anticipate that all interviews will be conducted remotely. We will offer interviews at times that suit you, so if you have children, caring duties, or other circumstances affecting your availability for an interview, we’re happy to offer convenient times outside of work hours.