About the company
Snook are on a mission to design a world that works better for people.
We work with organisations to design more effective services which help people thrive. We do this by engaging with users, building digital products, training our clients, and much more.
This year we’re ten years old. In the past five years, we’ve scaled to more than double our original size when we started up in Scotland. We’ve opened a London office and our team is approaching 40 people. And we’ve worked with brilliant clients — from Cancer Research UK and Tesco to Hackney City Council and the Scottish Government.
About the role
As a Senior User Researcher at Snook, you will lead and participate in multidisciplinary project teams and will be responsible for ensuring our design projects are rooted in a deep understanding of users and their needs.
Your work will include designing and delivering a range of research activities and methods, and communicating actionable insights to project teams and clients.
Your work will require collaboration across our user-centered disciplines and go beyond the screen.
You will work in the open, communicating the research findings within the project team and clients, championing the importance of user research and user needs.
You’ll relish working closely with our clients and partners in co-designing services and products with users.
You will work with the Head of User Research and the Head of Design to grow and develop our user research practice across Snook’s studios and our partners.
We’re keen to hear from a range of applicants, not just those who have worked in the design or creative industries.
You should be able to demonstrate that you are able to meet some, or all, of the following requirements:
- Have a strong understanding of ethical and responsible research best practice.
- Design and deliver inclusive research activities, often involving at-risk and vulnerable groups.
- Work within an agile environment with multidisciplinary teams, knowing your role at each phase of development.
- train others in the delivery of user research activities.
- Communicate findings in an engaging and meaningful way to colleagues and stakeholders.
- Lead the analysis and synthesis of research data and findings.
- Work collaboratively with the wider design team, experts and clients produce clear insights that will enable project teams to make informed design decisions.
- Support the continuous improvement of services based on data and evidence gathered through user research.
- Collate and present complex research findings in a range of formats and contexts.
- Design and deliver user research participant recruitment strategies and manage and support our research ops team members with recruitment
- Identify accessibility needs of users and be confident in making adjustments for these.
- Lead on the development of policies and standards around ethical research, accessibility specifications and equalities impact assessments.
- Plan and facilitate design sprints and research sprints as both the designated user research.
- Manage your project team’s time and budget on both client and internal projects.
- Preparing and presenting to ethics review boards.
- Communicate effectively in written reports of user research findings and to senior stakeholders with evidence on a team’s design decisions
- Provide and lead the communication of evidence during Government service assessments
Your skills and experience
- Experience in designing and delivering inclusive user research activities.
- Experience of supporting junior colleagues in developing user research skills.
- Experience in wider research methodologies
- A background in social sciences is welcome
- Be detailed, focussed and rigorous in your practice.
- Have a natural curiosity and empathy for people.
- Experience of leading agile, multidisciplinary project teams
- A strong portfolio of complex user research projects
- Expertise in a wide range of user research techniques and methods.
- Experience of conducting usability tests at all phases of the agile service design process in person and online
- Proven experience with statistical research tools such as SAS and SPSS
- Experience of working with design and development teams
- Experience or preparing for and successfully navigating ethics review boards.
- Experience of creating comprehensive and understandable user research reports.
- An understanding of user experience best practice across web and mobile (desirable)
- Familiarity of the purpose of design systems (e.g Gov.uk prototyping kit) (desirable)
What we offer
Snook offer a competitive salary, 29.5 holidays per year (including public holidays), additional annual Christmas closure and a supportive maternity leave policy.
We provide an annual training budget for external opportunities from talks and conferences to more bespoke hands-on training.
We respect that people have commitments and provide flexible working hours through discussion.
We have an annual team-away retreat for us to come together as a company, taking time out to learn, reflect, and eat snacks.
We spend a Friday together every quarter as one studio to run show and tells.
Every Monday morning, we have a team breakfast where we eat together and share our ambitions for the week ahead.
We are an equal opportunity, Disability Confident and Living Wage Foundation employer.
We have a bike to work scheme and free membership to HeadSpace the mental health app.
We support you with a Snook buddy when you join to get you started.
We strive for diversity in our team. If we’re going to design services for the public we need to ensure our team is inclusive. We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds and ages, however, all applicants must have the right to work in the UK.
How to apply
This is a rolling recruitment campaign so please don’t wait to submit your application. We are sifting and interviewing candidates on a weekly basis.
Please submit a CV, cover letter, your notice period and a portfolio of your work highlighting key projects. If you do not have a portfolio, we have created a simple template that you can use.
Send your CV, cover letter and portfolio as pdfs to email@example.com with the title “Hire me: Senior User Researcher”.
In your covering letter, please tell us a little bit about yourself, why you want to work at Snook and what sort of design problems you’d be interested in tackling with us.
Due to the current Covid-19 epidemic, we anticipate that all interviews will be conducted remotely. We will offer interviews at times that suit you, so if you have children, caring duties, or other circumstances affecting your availability for an interview, we’re happy to offer convenient times outside of work hours.