About the company
Snook are on a mission to design a world that works better for people.
We work with organisations to design more effective services which help people thrive. We do this by engaging with users, building digital products, training our clients, and much more.
Snook started as a service design company in 2009. In the past five years, we have become a multidisciplinary team and scaled to more than double our original size, when we started up in Scotland. We are now based in Glasgow and London and our team is approaching 100 people. And we’ve worked with brilliant clients — from Cancer Research UK and Tesco to Hackney City Council and the Scottish Government.
About the role
As a Service Designer at Snook, you’ll work in multidisciplinary teams to design products and services rooted in a deep understanding of users and their needs. You may also be helping out with new business development, supporting and managing more junior colleagues and contributing to the evolution of Snook’s practice.
One of Snook’s core missions is ‘Next Era Government’. We strive to ensure that human needs are at the centre of government services’ design and delivery. We are the User-Centred Design partner for multiple government agencies, including Home Office, Department for Education, NHS Digital and NHSX. Working in these sectors will give you valuable experience in applying Government Service Standards and preparing for Government Service Assessments. We also work with local government and third and private sector organisations.
Key responsibilities of the role are:
- Project leading and direction – You’ll direct the design of inclusive, accessible and planet-friendly services. You’ll lead multidisciplinary teams through complex or high value projects. Your role will involve pointing teams and clients in the right direction to deliver on scope, on time and on budget.
- Team support and management – You’ll help to support the service design team, for example by mentoring and helping to recruit colleagues. You may line manage more junior team members, including making recommendations around their progression.
- Refining our practice – You’ll help to push the way our disciplines work together. With our Design Ops, Training, User Research, and Digital teams, you’ll further articulate our accessible, inclusive and planet-friendly design practices.
- Supporting new business – You’ll work closely with our clients and partners to spot and nurture opportunities springing from the work we do. You’ll likely play a role in all stages of Snook’s new business process.
Your skills and experience
We’re keen to hear from people who can demonstrate some or all of the following skills and experience:
Core technical skills
- Research – You take the lead in planning and conducting research to uncover the key factors affecting a service and its use (contextual, operational, cultural, technological, human, strategic, business model…)
- User-centred journeys & experiences – You can choose and lead appropriate approaches to designing viable user-centred services and experiences.
- Strategy & systems thinking – You lead teams, clients and stakeholders to map strategies, systems and scenarios. You use systems thinking to identify opportunities and produce strategic recommendations.
- Facilitation – You lead your teams in planning and delivering workshops and engagements designed to support project objectives. You support your team to engage and inspire clients and stakeholders.
- Visual communication – You set clear direction for how visual communication can be used to simplify and convey complex concepts.
- Written communication – You lead teams to identify effective and impactful structures for written information. You can create and lead teams to prepare concise communication tailored to the needs of your audience.
- Recommendation & implementation – You scope the practical requirements to implement change or inform clients’ next steps, including outlining timeframes and resource implications. You can identify opportunities for conversations with the client to recommend future steps.
- Prototyping – You lead teams, clients and stakeholders to conduct testing or prototyping throughout project phases. You work across disciplines to design, build and test effective prototypes that contribute to project outcomes.
How to apply
This is a rolling recruitment, please do not delay your application as we are sifting and interviewing daily. The vacancy will be closed when available positions are filled.
We ask you to submit a:
- cover letter that tells us about you, why you want to work at Snook, what sort of design problems you’d be interested in tackling with us and what your notice period is
- portfolio of your work highlighting key projects
If you do not have a portfolio, we have created a simple template that you can use.
To apply, please email full applications to email@example.com
We strive for diversity in our team. If we’re going to design services for the public we need to ensure our team is inclusive. Snook encourages applications from all backgrounds, abilities or impairments, communities and industries, and are committed to having a team that is made up of diverse skills, experiences and abilities. If you have any questions please get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org
Due to the current Covid-19 epidemic, we anticipate that all interviews will be conducted remotely. We will offer interviews at times that suit you, so if you have children, caring duties, or other circumstances affecting your availability for an interview, we’re happy to offer convenient times outside of work hours.