About the company
Snook are on a mission to design a world that works better for people.
We work with organisations to design more effective services which help people thrive. We do this by engaging with users, building digital products, training our clients, and much more.
This year we’re eleven years old. In the past five years, we’ve scaled to more than double our original size when we started up in Scotland. We now have over 80 people across the UK. And we’ve worked with brilliant clients — from Cancer Research UK and Tesco to Hackney City Council and the Scottish Government.
About the role
As a Tech Lead at Snook, you will lead the new and growing team of developers within our Digital team, and set the standard for our coding approach. You’ll report to our Head of Digital to provide oversight of technical delivery, and provide coaching for developers.
- Line-manage the team of developers. Provide mentoring and support to build individual and team capability.
- Develop, test, deploy and improve digital products in a continuous delivery environment
- Develop our technology practices including test-driven development, code review, pair-programming, QA, approaches and professional development and training.
You will help create a supportive team and a culture of partnership, consistency, operational excellence and delivery. You will foster good engineering practices, rhythms and rituals, team dynamics and delivery within the Head of Digital’s team. And you will help the team make brilliant connections with the other designers and researchers across the rest of Snook.
Your skills and experience
We want to hear from a range of people who can demonstrate some, or all, of the following skills and experience:
Team and practice:
- Lead multidisciplinary project teams to design, and develop digital products, throughout the entire product life-cycle.
- Balance a human centred design approach and prioritising user needs with business and technical goals.
- Working with the Head of Digital to establish our technology practices including test-driven development, code review, pair-programming, QA, and professional development and training.
- Confident in coaching clients on best software and agile practices
- Fostering a culture of proactive open communication, operational excellence, and consistent delivery.
- Willing to work collaboratively to both give and receive feedback within a shared code ownership team.
- Able to lead teams to design and build accessible and inclusive live digital products and/or services.
- Ability to support the wider Snook team on new business proposals and pitches when required.
- Ensure client satisfaction in the delivery of our technical solutions; that they are suitable in terms of maintainability and are delivered on time and budget.
- Ensuring work meets accessibility, scalability, robustness and security requirements.
- Providing mentoring and support and mentoring to a team of developers so that their capability improves as individuals and a team.
- Demonstrable experience in working in agile, user centered design and lean approaches to product development.
- Experience mentoring and coaching junior developers
- Very experienced in full-stack development in a variety of programming languages. Our current tech stack at Snook includes: Ruby on Rails, Node.js and React.js.
- Experience of pair-programming and code review, willing to work collaboratively to both give and receive feedback within a shared code ownership team.
- Very experienced in leading the team to adopt Test Driven Development (TDD) and/or Behavioral Test Driven Development (BDD).
- Develop, test, deploy and improve digital products and services in a continuous delivery environment
- Experience of skillfully translating and communicating technical concepts for non-technical stakeholders.
- Ability to incrementally define and improve the software
- Experience working with databases (SQL and NoSQL).
- Experience in writing well-documented code that is easy to maintain and evolve.
- Experience working with Git version control and leading an environment of continuous integration and continuous delivery (CI/CD).
- Deploying, hosting, securing, monitoring and scaling in the cloud.
- Experience working closely with Product Managers to ensure everyone is aligned and on track with the work.
What we offer
- Snook offer a competitive salary, 29.5 holidays per year (including public holidays), additional annual Christmas closure and a supportive maternity leave policy.
- We are working remotely by default during the pandemic, as a distributed team. We provide the kit our staff need to work effectively, and the flexibility to help work and life remain in balance. Our London studio space is open for our staff to work in if they prefer not to work from home, and we have a booking system to make sure people can work at a safe distance. Our Glasgow studio is awaiting confirmation following the Scottish Government guidelines.
- We respect that people have commitments and provide flexible working hours through discussion.
- We spend a day together every quarter as a studio to run show and tells. We have an annual team-away retreat for us to come together as a company, taking time out to learn, reflect, and eat snacks.
- We are an equal opportunity, Disability Confident and Living Wage Foundation employer.
- We have a bike to work scheme and free membership to HeadSpace the mental health app.
- We support you with a Snook buddy when you join to get you started.
We strive for diversity in our team. If we’re going to design services for the public we need to ensure our team is inclusive. We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds and ages, however all applicants must have the right to work in the UK.
How to apply
This is a rolling recruitment campaign so please don’t wait to submit your application. We are sifting and interviewing candidates on a weekly basis.
The application will be 2 stages; CV review and a formal interview. If successful, you may not be deployed straight away, so this role would therefore be ideal for those who are looking for flexible work.
Please submit a CV, cover letter and details of your notice period. Please also let us know your preferred pronouns (she/her, they/them, he/him, etc).
In your covering letter, please tell us a little bit about yourself, why you want to work at Snook and what sort of problems you’d be interested in tackling with us.
Send your CV and cover letter pdfs to ‘email@example.com’ with the title “Hire me: Tech Lead”.
We strive for diversity in our team. If we’re going to design services for the public we need to ensure our team is inclusive. Snook encourages applications from all backgrounds, abilities or impairments, communities and industries, and are committed to having a team that is made up of diverse skills, experiences and abilities. If you have any questions please get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org
At the current time, we anticipate that all interviews will be conducted remotely. We will offer interviews at times that suit you, so if you have children, caring duties, or other circumstances affecting your availability for an interview, we’re happy to offer convenient times outside of work hours.