About the role
As a User Researcher at Snook, you will work in multidisciplinary project teams and will be responsible for ensuring our design projects are rooted in a deep understanding of users and their needs.
Your work will include participating in a range of research activities and methods, and communicating actionable insights to project teams.
Your work will require collaboration across our user-centered disciplines and go beyond the screen.
You will work in the open, communicating the user research findings within the project team and with clients.
You’ll relish working closely with our clients and partners in co-designing services and products with users.
We’re keen to hear from a range of applicants, not just those who have worked in the design or creative industries.
You should be able to demonstrate that you are able to meet some, or all, of the following requirements:
- Have a working understanding of ethical and responsible research best practice.
- Understand the importance of inclusive research
- Work within an agile environment with multidisciplinary teams, knowing your role at each phase of development.
- Support others in the delivery of user research activities.
- Communicate findings in an engaging and meaningful way to colleagues and stakeholders.
- Participate in the analysis and synthesis of research data and findings.
- Work collaboratively with the wider design team, experts and clients produce clear insights that will enable project teams to make informed design decisions.
- Support the continuous improvement of services based on data and evidence gathered through user research.
- Work collaboratively with senior stakeholders to collate and present research findings in a range of formats and contexts.
- Brief and support our research ops team members with recruiting participants for user research activities and develop recruitment screeners
- Aware of and active in identifying accessibility needs of users and be confident in making adjustments for these.
- Contribute to the development of policies and standards around ethical research, accessibility specifications and equalities impact assessments.
- Take part in design sprints and research sprints as both the designated user research and eventually as a facilitator
- Being able to manage your own time and budget on both client and internal projects.
- Familiar with the requirements of preparing and presenting to ethics review boards.
- Communicate effectively in written reports of user research findings.
Your skills and experience
- Experience in delivering user research activities.
- Experience in wider research methodologies
- Experience of supporting junior colleagues in developing user research skills.
- A background in social sciences is welcome
- Be detailed, focussed and rigorous in your practice.
- Have a natural curiosity and empathy for people.
- Experience of conducting usability tests at all phases of the agile service design process in person and online
- Experience of working as part of a multidisciplinary project team
- A strong portfolio of user research projects
- Familiarity with a wide range of user research techniques and methods.
- Familiarity with statistical research tools such as SAS and SPSS
- Experience of working with design and development teams
- An basic understanding of user experience best practice across web and mobile (desirable)
- Familiarity of the purpose of design systems (e.g Gov.uk prototyping kit) (desirable)
What we offer
Snook offer a competitive salary, 29.5 holidays per year (including public holidays), additional annual Christmas closure and a supportive maternity leave policy.
We provide an annual training budget for external opportunities from talks and conferences to more bespoke hands-on training.
We respect that people have commitments and provide flexible working hours through discussion.
We have an annual team-away retreat for us to come together as a company, taking time out to learn, reflect, and eat snacks.
We spend a Friday together every quarter as one studio to run show and tells.
Every Monday morning, we have a team breakfast where we eat together and share our ambitions for the week ahead.
We are an equal opportunity, Disability Confident and Living Wage Foundation employer.
We have a bike to work scheme and free membership to HeadSpace the mental health app.
We support you with a Snook buddy when you join to get you started.
We strive for diversity in our team. If we’re going to design services for the public we need to ensure our team is inclusive. We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds and ages, however all applicants must have the right to work in the UK.
How to apply
This is an immediate start campaign so please don’t wait to submit your application. We are sifting and interviewing candidates on a weekly basis. The contracts are on a fixed term basis, with possible opportunity for full time.
Please note: due to the sensitive nature of this project, all successful candidates will require government security clearance. If you are not already SC cleared (preferable), you must be eligible, meaning that you must have lived continuously in the UK for the last 5 years, and you must have the right to work in the UK.
Please submit a CV, cover letter, your notice period and a portfolio of your work highlighting key projects. If you do not have a portfolio, we have created a simple template that you can use.
Send your CV, cover letter and portfolio as pdfs to ‘firstname.lastname@example.org’ with the title “Hire me: User Researcher”.
In your covering letter, please tell us a little bit about yourself, why you want to work at Snook and what sort of design problems you’d be interested in tackling with us.
We strive for diversity in our team. If we’re going to design services for the public we need to ensure our team is inclusive. Snook encourages applications from all backgrounds, abilities or impairments, communities and industries, and are committed to having a team that is made up of diverse skills, experiences and abilities. If you have any questions please get in touch at email@example.com
Due to the current Covid-19 epidemic, we anticipate that all interviews will be conducted remotely. We will offer interviews at times that suit you, so if you have children, caring duties, or other circumstances affecting your availability for an interview, we’re happy to offer convenient times outside of work hours.