Snook are looking for a Head of Service Design in London *NOW CLOSED*
Salary: £70k +
Hours: 37.5 hours (flexible)
Location: London (additional locations will be considered with regular travel to London)
Closing date: Monday 22nd April
Snook are on a mission to design a world that works better for people. We work with organisations to design services to help people thrive. This year we’ll be ten years old. In the past five years we’ve more than doubled in size to a team approaching 30 people. We opened a new London office. We worked with brilliant clients — from Cancer Research UK to Hackney City Council, Tesco to the Scottish Government.
We have big plans for the next three years and are looking for a Head of Service Design to provide strong leadership and coaching to our growing London-based design and delivery teams. The role will be key to ensuring the team do their best work, maintaining consistency of high quality delivery across our projects and pushing us to meet our mission by designing services that have real impact for people’s lives.
Below, you’ll find information on our requirements, our values, what we offer, and how to apply. We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds and ages.
Applicants will have experience in leading teams to develop services, meaning you’ve spent time crafting and understanding what it takes to deliver a new or improved service.
We are looking for people who:
Thrive on solving complex problems
- Capable of making and guiding effective design decisions, thinking at both a systems level and a detailed experience level
- Comfortable working with the different materials of a service, from user interactions to backend processes and policy across digital and non-digital touchpoints
- Confident in setting future visions for products and services that inspire people and meet needs while laddering up to wider strategic and systemic change
- Articulate how services need to change from a user-centred, system, and business perspective to gain buy-in across organisations
- Be critical during the design process, navigating power in service structures and challenging how people can be empowered and supported to thrive
Are confident working with technology
- Understand how services are powered by the internet
- Work confidently with technology teams to design digital products and services from discovery through to live
- Lead multidisciplinary teams through sprint cycles of continued development
- Have knowledge and interest in the wider digital economy and advances in technology
- Lead teams to define key metrics and measurements for organisations to evaluate their impact, supporting them to use this data to iterate what they deliver
Confident providing guidance and leadership to our team
- Coach and mentor designers in Snook, running appraisal processes and supporting their development while identifying training needs
- Lead project teams and provide creative direction across the wider project portfolio
- Run learning sessions and project crits regularly on projects and for both studios to champion shared learning across the organisation
- Be a voice of Snook’s values and story on the outside of the organisation to push the development of our practice as an industry
While supporting the growth of the organisation
- Bring an optimistic and entrepreneurial mindset to our work, supporting directors to spot and enable new business opportunities
- Support the recruitment of new team members
- Support the senior leadership team to grow and develop the organisation in line with our company strategy
- Support our production manager in resourcing and assigning project teams
Most importantly, you’re looking to join a lovely team and support us in delivering great design work. Definite bonus points include an appreciation for gifs and bad puns.
We strive to create a good working environment, that allows our designers to thrive and create the best work they can. Some of the values that help us create this are:
- We do active self-care
- We encourage ambition not competition
- We promote diversity
- We believe in passions; personal interests are welcome
- We know there is no right or wrong way
- We do fun
- We work with people, not for them
What we offer
- Snook offer a competitive salary, 29.5 holidays per year (including public holidays), additional annual Christmas closure and a supportive sick leave policy.
- We provide an annual training budget for external opportunities from talks and conferences to more bespoke hands-on training.
- We respect people have commitments and provide flexible working hours through discussion.
- We have an annual team-away retreat for us to come together as a company, taking time out to learn, reflect, and eat snacks. We spend a Friday together every quarter as one studio to run show and tells.
- Every Monday morning, we have a team breakfast where we eat together and share our ambitions for the week ahead.
- We are an equal opportunity and Living Wage Foundation employer.
- We have a bike to work scheme and free membership to HeadSpace the mental health app
- We support you with a Snook buddy when you join to get you started.
How to apply
We strive for diversity in our team. If we’re going to design services for the public we need to ensure our team is diverse. We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds and ages.
Please submit a CV, and a short supporting example of your work in the format of an A4 document highlighting key projects. Send this to email@example.com with the title Hire me: Head of Service Design.
We will offer interviews at times that suit you, so if you have children, caring duties, or have to travel after work we’re happy to offer these at convenient times outside of work hours. We can support travel costs outside of London if we take you to an interview stage.