Snook are seeking Service Designers to work in London *NOW CLOSED*
Salary: Dependent on experience
Hours: 37.5 hours (flexible)
Location: London with travel across the UK.
Closing date: Monday 22nd April
Snook are on a mission to design a world that works better for people. We work with organisations to design services to help people thrive. This year we’ll be ten years old. In the past five years we’ve more than doubled in size to a team approaching 30 people. We opened a new London office. We worked with brilliant clients — from Cancer Research UK to Hackney City Council, Tesco and the Scottish Government.
We have big plans for the next three years and are seeking people who can join us, working with our partners and clients to engage with users, build digital products, train staff, and more.
We’re looking for Service Designers across two experience levels:
- Senior and Lead Service Designers
- Mid-level Service Designers
We are looking for Service Designers across both our Design and Delivery teams. Our Delivery team focus more on training and capacity building work, our Design team focus on consultancy.
Below, you’ll find information on our requirements, our values, what we offer, and how to apply. We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds and ages.
Applicants will have experience in developing services, meaning you’ve spent time crafting and understanding what it takes to deliver a new or improved service. You don’t need to refer to yourself as a Service Designer or have had the job title, you could have fulfilled a similar role or have relevant experience.
We are looking for people to:
- Work with the different materials of a service, from user interactions to backend processes and policy
- Understand how services are powered by the internet
- Work confidently with technology teams to design digital products and services from discovery through to live
- Work as part of a multidisciplinary team through sprint cycles of continued development
- Co-design with clients and communities to design new service models and value propositions
- Work confidently with both quantitative data and qualitative insight
- Work to the highest ethical and moral standards of research and design practice, promoting inclusive design practice at all levels of your work
- Take research into actionable insights and communicate this in a succinct and human-centred way to stakeholders
- Balance the needs of people who use services with those of the business and the wider system
- Build prototypes of services we can test with people
- Define key metrics and measurements for organisations to evaluate their impact, supporting them to use this data to iterate what they deliver
- Coach and build capabilities of organisations to learn human-centred approaches to design
- Keep our projects on time and budget and report to our Project Directors and Production Manager
At a senior level we are looking for people to:
- Make and guide effective design decisions, thinking at both a systems level and a detailed-experience level
- Be confident in setting future visions for products and services that inspire people and meet needs while laddering up to wider strategic and systemic change
- Articulate how services need to change from a user-centred, system, and business perspective to gain buy-in across organisations
- Be critical during the design process, navigating power in service structures and challenging how people can be empowered and supported to thrive
- Bring an optimistic and entrepreneurial mindset to our work, supporting directors to spot and enable new opportunities in the world
- Coach other designers in Snook and lead project teams
Most importantly, you’re looking to join a lovely team and support us in delivering great design work. Definite bonus points include an appreciation for gifs and bad puns.
We strive to create a good working environment, that allows our designers to thrive and create the best work they can. Some of the values that help us create this are:
- We do active self-care
- We encourage ambition not competition
- We promote diversity
- We believe in passions; personal interests are welcome
- We know there is no right or wrong way
- We do fun
- We work with people, not for them
What we offer
- Snook offer a competitive salary, 29.5 holidays per year (including public holidays), additional annual Christmas closure and a supportive sick leave policy.
- We provide an annual training budget for external opportunities from talks and conferences to more bespoke hands-on training.
- We respect that people have commitments and provide flexible working hours through discussion.
- We have an annual team-away retreat for us to come together as a company, taking time out to learn, reflect, and eat snacks. We spend a Friday together every quarter as one studio to run show and tells.
- Every Monday morning, we have a team breakfast where we eat together and share our ambitions for the week ahead.
- We are an equal opportunity and Living Wage Foundation employer.
- We have a bike to work scheme and free membership to HeadSpace the mental health app
- We support you with a Snook buddy when you join to get you started.
How to apply
We strive for diversity in our team. If we’re going to design services for the public we need to ensure our team is diverse. We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds and ages.
Please submit a CV and a short supporting example of your work in the format of an A4 document highlighting key projects. Send this to firstname.lastname@example.org with the title Hire me: Service Designers. In your email please specify which level you would like to apply for and in which team.
We will offer interviews at times that suit you, so if you have children, caring duties, or have to travel after work we’re happy to offer these at convenient times outside of work hours. We can support travel costs outside of London if we take you to an interview stage.