We’re on the hunt for freelance design talent
Join us to work across a range of exciting and diverse projects.
Snook are on a mission to design a world that works better for people. We work with organisations to design services to help people thrive. This year we’ll be ten years old. In the past five years we’ve more than doubled in size to a team approaching 30 people. We opened a new London office. We worked with brilliant clients — from Cancer Research UK to Hackney City Council, Tesco and the Scottish Government.
We have big plans for the next three years and are seeking people who can join us, working with our partners and clients to engage with users, build digital products, train staff, and more.
We’re looking for freelance Service Designers and Visual Designers across all levels.
Below, you’ll find information on our requirements, our values, what we offer, and how to apply. We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds and ages.
Freelance Service Designer requirements
Applicants will have experience in developing services, meaning you’ve spent time crafting and understanding what it takes to deliver a new or improved service. You don’t need to refer to yourself as a Service Designer or have had the job title, you could have fulfilled a similar role or have relevant experience.
We are looking for people who can:
- Work with the different materials of a service, from user interactions to backend processes and policy
- Understand how services are powered by the internet
- Work confidently with technology teams to design digital products and services from discovery through to live
- Work as part of a multidisciplinary team through sprint cycles of continued development
- Co-design with clients and communities to design new service models and value propositions
- Work confidently with both quantitative data and qualitative insight
- Work to the highest ethical and moral standards of research and design practice, promoting inclusive design practice at all levels of your work
- Take research into actionable insights and communicate this in a succinct and human-centred way to stakeholders
- Balance the needs of people who use services with those of the business and the wider system
- Define key metrics and measurements for organisations to evaluate their impact, supporting them to use this data to iterate what they deliver
Freelance Visual Designer requirements
You may be a graphic designer who is working on digital products, or describe yourself as UX/UI. We would love you to get involved in developing propositions with us and bringing them to life when we are developing services
We’re looking for people who can:
- Work within a multidisciplinary team to create simple, functional information design and typography off and online user experiences
- Work with project leads, interaction designers and developers to create simple, effective digital interfaces and services
- Be able to communicate ideas in an easy to understand way
- Design iteratively-
- Collaborate with researchers to understand if your designs work effectively
- Design documents for print and digital, icons and web graphics
- Understand the effective use of colour, composition and basic grids
- Sketch and prototype on paper, into HTML an added plus
- Work quickly in an agile environment
Most importantly, you’re looking to join a lovely team and support us in delivering great design work. Definite bonus points include an appreciation for gifs and bad puns.
We strive to create a good working environment, that allows our designers to thrive and create the best work they can. Some of the values that help us create this are:
- We do active self-care
- We encourage ambition not competition
- We promote diversity
- We believe in passions; personal interests are welcome
- We know there is no right or wrong way
- We do fun
- We work with people, not for them
How to apply
We strive for diversity in our team. If we’re going to design services for the public we need to ensure our team is diverse. We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds and ages.
Please submit a CV, an indication of your availability and a short supporting example of your work in the format of an A4 document highlighting key projects. Send this to firstname.lastname@example.org with the title ‘Hire me: Freelancers’. In your email please specify whether you are applying to freelance as a Visual Designer or a Service Designer, and at what level of experience.